Musician: Michele Osten and the Not Just Jazz Band
Born in Seattle USA, Michele now resides in England. Raised listening to all of the great crooners of the 50’s and 60’s as well as Jazz, Soul, Blues and R&B.
Michele began singing as a child but let her music slip to the backburner at 18 when life took her in other directions. About 15 years ago, Michele discovered a vocal performance course and reignited her love for music. During this time she returned to her Jazz roots and this remains her favoured genre and where her passion lies.
Artist Name/Name of Band: Michele Osten and the Not Just Jazz Band
Members: David Roberts, Steve Ashworth and Stephen Davies to name a few as well as with drummers Dan Allsopp and Jeb Holsworth.
Preferred pronoun: She/Her
1. What is your artist name?
Michele Osten & the Not Just Jazz Band.
2. How long have you being performing/working?
Since birth but professionally for about 15 years – late bloomer I was.
3. What has been the highlight of your career to date?
Playing at the Edinburgh Fringe in 2018, Royal Albert Hall last spring (in the Verdi Kitchen), singer for the Big Band at Conservatoire de Nevers in Burgundy for 5 years…the list is endless.
4. Have you worked/performed for/with anyone famous?
Not that i am aware of…
5. If you could perform/work with any other lesbian or bisexual musician, who would it be?
K D Lang (a bit obvious but I do adore her voice), Joan Jett and of course Susie Quatro (love a bit of rock)
6. What type of gigs do you like to do, and how important is it to engage with your fans at gigs?
I love all gigs funnily enough the smaller more intimate ones are the hardest because you are right up close and personal. I do ensure to engage and chat wiht the audience and try to get them to giggle helps with easing and softening the atmosphere.
7. Tell us one secret about yourself.
I didn’t come out until I was in my late 40’s
8. How and why did you get into this profession?
I have always sung from a little kid and always encouraged to perform live. Every performance scares the living daylights out of me but there is nothing like else it.
9. When you’re not working what do you like to do to chill out?
Pj’s on, telly on, an a bottle of good red wine. I love being at home with my parner and our two cats : )
10. Who are three other lesbian/bisexual musicians that you recommend?
K D Land – she faced a lot early on when being gay was tougher than it is now, very brave lady.
Tracy Chapman – what a voice, it just oozes.
Dusty Springfield – what a talent which the world lost way too soon.
11. What is the best thing about being part of the LBQ community?
It has got to be the support…thank you ladies!